Northeast Connecticut Chamber of Commerce - Working for business to build the future
Home Member Directory Events Contact Us

Plainfield

In 1653, John Wintrop Jr., later Governor of the Connecticut Colony, acquired the land from Hyems, a sachem of the Quinebaugs. Three decades later, Owaneco, son of the Mohegan Uncas, gave the same land to James Fitch, Jr. Despite a bitter struggle between these two powerful families over the land, settlers successfully petitioned to become a town in 1699. The land was named Plainfield and included the land on both sides of the Quinebaug River.

As the 19th century began, half a dozen woolen and cotton spinning mills along the Moosup River were established at sites once occupied only by grist and saw mills. One railroad opened in 1840 and another 14 years later, making Plainfield an important transportation center.

The textile mils brought revolutionary changes in the lives of residents, transforming patterns of work and redefining the nature of the community. In 1800, most adult males in town were farmers. By mid-century, French Canadians and other ethnic groups came to join the work force in the mills. By the century’s end, the town had four village centers, Plainfield, Central Village, Moosup and Wauregan, each with its own identity.

Plainfield is located in the Eastern Connecticut Enterprise Corridor. Visit our web site at www.plainfieldct.org

PROFILE
Incorporated: 1699
Area: 42.3 square miles
Population: (1990 census) 14,554
Form of Government: Board of Selectmen
Mill Rate: 25.9
DIRECTORY
Town Hall – General Number 230-3000
First Selectman 230-3001
Finance Director 230-3003
Bookkeeping 230-3004
Payroll / Personnel 230-3005
Town Clerk 230-3008
Building Inspector 230-3012
Fire Marshall 230-3013
Sewer Dept. Supervisor 230-3014
Economic Development 230-3016
Tax Collection 230-3019
Rental Assistance 230-3022
Community Development 230-3023
Planning & Zoning 230-3030
Probate Judge 230-3031
Fax Machine 230-3033
Dog Warden 564-8547
OTHER TOWN NUMBERS
Highway Department 564-5801
Police 564-0804
Recreation Department 564-1819
Superintendent of Schools 564-6403
Chamber of Commerce (860)779-8001
Health Department (860)774-7350
Historical Society 564-2269
Housing Authority 564-3760
FIRE DISTRICT TAX COLLECTORS
Plainfield: Angela Tamburri 564-1322
Central Village: Carol St. Ament 564-8660
Moosup: Joan Dumaine 564-3007
Wauregan: Henry Daley (860)779-3014
LIBRARIES
Moosup 564-8760
Central Village 564-7753
Plainfield 564-4407
 
QV Emergency Communication (860)779-7555
Volunteer Ambulance Corp 564-7410
SCHOOLS
Moosup Elementary 564-6430
Plainfield Memorial 564-6440
Shepard Hill Elementary 564-6432
Plainfield Central 564-6437
Plainfield High School 564-6417
Early Childhood Center 564-6400
Superintendant of Schools 564-6403
PRIVATE AND PAROCHIAL SCHOOLS
St. John’s The Apostle School 564-3313
Plainfield Catholic 564-3476