The Indian name for Pomfret was “Mashamoquet” meaning “great fishing place”. The land was purchased from the Indians in 1686. Pomfret was incorporated in 1713 and named after Governor Saltonstall’s estate Pontefract (meaning broken bridge) in Yorkshire, England.
The Abington Congregational Church built in 1751 is the oldest church in continuous use in Connecticut. The Brayton Mill at the entrance to Mashamoquet Brook State Park is an early mill site.
The Old Town House built in 1841 has served for town meetings, elections, and social affairs. The Pomfret School was founded in 1894 as a boarding school for young men. The Rectory School opened in 1920. Both still serve as private schools. A ride down Pomfret Street presents an impressive display of the historical buildings.
The Abington Social Library (1813) is the oldest active library in America formed by women. Famous residents have included Israel Putnam (Major General in the Revolutionary War), James A. MacNeill Whistler (artist), Louise Chandler Moulton (poet), and Robert Hillyer (poet).
Pomfret is served by two post offices and a number of important local businesses.
Zips: Pomfret – 06258, Pomfret Center – 06259, Abington – 06230
Area: 40.1 square miles
Population:(1990 census) 3,200
Form of Government: Selectmen / Town Meeting
Mill Rate: 20.45
|Animal Control Officer||774-8714|
|Public Library (Pomfret)||(860)928-3475|
|Public Library (Abington)||(860)974-0415|
|Registrar of Voters||(860)974-0343|
|State Police (Troop D)||(800) 954-8828|
|Superintendent of Schools||963-1122|
|Pomfret Community School (K-8)||(860)928-2718|
|Rectory School (6-9) private prep||(860)928-7759|
|Pomfret School (9-12) private prep||963-6100|