Northeast Connecticut Chamber of Commerce - Working for business to build the future
Home Member Directory Events Contact Us

Thompson

In 1684, more than 20 years before the first European settlers arrived, the area that is now Thompson was acquired by Massachusetts speculators and sold to absentee English gentlemen who laid out large farms.  One of these purchasers, Sir Robert Thompson of Middlesex, England, gave his name to the remote town.  Today’s township of Thompson consists of what was once nine small mill towns, which grew up along convenient waterways.

In 1813, the Mason family built a small cotton mill on the French River.  Larger mills were added in 1826 and 1831.  In 1861, the original building was moved by Dr. William Grosvenor.  He consolidated the Masonville Company Mill with the Fisherville Company Mill in 1868.  In 1872, a huge steam powered cotton mill was built.  By 1900, this was the biggest mill and employer in Windham County with 1,750 employees.

The Green on Thompson Hill today is the epitome of history, beautifully preserved.  The oldest remaining building is the 1767 home of Samuel Watson.  Ellen D. Larned, noted historian and author of the History of Windham County, was born in the house in 1825.  She was the first woman admitted to the Connecticut Historical Society.  The Vernon Stiles Inn was established in 1814 at the junction of the Boston to Hartford and the Providence to Springfield Turnpikes.  The Old Town Hall, built in 1842, was designed by famed architect Ithiel Towne, a native of Thompson.  The Thompson Hill Congregational Church was built in 1856 by members of the First Church of Killingly who were looking for a more northerly location.

Thompson offers Enterprise Zone benefits for manufacturing industry and is home for a variety of service and industry businesses.  Renovated mill space is available at very affordable rates accommodating requirements for businesses ranging from incubator start-ups to agri-technology.  Intensive revitalization efforts in the North Grosvenordale area has included extensive renovation of historic mill housing for affordable housing opportunities, new senior housing, public library/community center and recreation centers and trails.  Thompson is also home to the well-known Thompson International Speedway and golf course.

PROFILE
Zip: Thompson – 06277, Grosvenordale – 06246, North Grosvenordale – 06255, Quinebaug – 06295
Settled: 1711
Incorporated: 1785
Area: 47-3 square miles
Population: (1990 census) 8,668
Form of Government: Board of Selectmen / Town Meeting
Mill Rate: 17.56
IMPORTANT NUMBERS
ADA Coordinator (860)923-9475
Agent for the Elderly (860)923-9561
Assessor (860)923-2259
Building Official (860)923-9002
Community Development (860)923-9475
Dog Warden 963-6804
Fair Housing Officer (860)923-9475
Highway Garage (860)923-2680
Probate Judge (860)923-2203
Public Library (860)923-9779
Recreation (860)923-9440
Quaddick State Park (860)928-9200
West Thompson Dam Recreation Area (860)923-2982
Registrar of voters (860)923-9636
Resident State Trooper (860)923-3716
Selectmen’s Office (860)923-9561
Senior Citizen’s Lunch (860)923-3941
Social Services (860)923-9561
Superintendent of Schools (860)923-9581
Tax Collector (860)923-2119
Town Clerk / Vital Statistics (860)923-9900
Transfer Station (860)923-9820 or 923-9561
Treasurer (860)923-3593
Veteran’s Services (860)923-9320
SCHOOLS
Mary R. Fisher Elementary School (860)923-9142
Thompson Middle School (860)923-9380
Tourtellotte Memorial High School (860)923-9303
Marianapolis Preparatory School (860)923-9565
St. Joseph’s Grammar School (pre-K-9) (860)923-2090