The Town of Killingly was traversed by Native Americans prior to colonization. One of their trails, which apparently followed sections of Route 101 and Bear Hill Road, became a major colonial path between Providence and Hartford. Richard Evens, the first known settler, arrived in 1693 from Rehoboth, MA, followed by others, in the early 1700’s from Boston.
When Killingly was incorporated as a Town in 1708, its borders extended from Plainfield to Massachusetts and included what is now Thompson and much of Putnam. The Town’s earliest commercial and industrial establishments included taverns, blacksmith shops, grist and saw mills. By 1770, William Danielson, later a Colonel in the militia, had established an iron works on the Five Mile River in Danielson.
Killingly was at the forefront during the industrial revolution. William Cundall, Sr. established one of the earliest woolen works in Connecticut prior to 1787. Textile mills were built and supporting villages sprang up along the Quinebaug and Five Mile Rivers and Whetstone Brook in the early 1800’s.
Railroad access in 1840 transformed the Danielson and Dayville sections of Town into commercial centers for the region. In the 1920’s, the firm of Powdrell and Alexander opened six curtain factories in town, and Killingly became known as “Curtaintown USA”.
Prominent Killingly natives included Mary Kies, the first woman in the US to receive a patent, and the birthplace of two US Commissioners of Education: William Harris and Sidney Marland, Jr.
The Town has sought to diversify its economic base and preserve its natural resources. Industries such as Frito-Lay, Spirol International, Rogers Corporation and Staples, Inc. have made their home here. Killingly is host to the Quinebaug Valley Community Technical College, Ellis Regional Vocational Technical School, and the Danielson Airport. A thriving merchant’s organization, Danielson Main Street, Inc. encourages businesses, and plans events for the Historic Main Street District.
Killingly is an Eastern Connecticut Enterprise Corridor Community with an expanding Industrial Park adjacent to Interstate 395. Business opportunities abound, whether it’s an historic mill or a modern industrial site, your business is our priority.
|Parks & Recreation||(860)779-5390|
|Goodyear Early Childhood Center||(860)779-6770|
|Killingly Central School (Grades 1-4)||(860)779-6750|
|Killingly High School (9-12)||(860)779-6620|
|Killingly Intermediate School (5-8)||(860)779-6700|
|Killingly Memorial School (1-4)||(860)779-6680|
|Superintendent’s Office||(860) 779-6600|